Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sophie's Journey (so far)


Okay, I hope this isn't too much information, but I use this blog as my journal so I want to remember this about our sweet Sophie.


Sophie has been called many things over the years - shy, reserved, introverted, slow to warm up, you get the picture. For me, this has been heart breaking. When we signed her up for soccer, she would stand in the middle of the field, frozen like a statue. She would remain this way throughout the game. Afterward, she would cry because she was so disappointed in herself for not playing. At school, she was known as "the girl who doesn't talk". She would only participate in activities at school about half the time and was completely nonverbal at school for about the last half of the year. When someone asks her how old she is or what her name is, she freezes like a deer in the headlights. While I am shy by nature, I've always been able to make friends and function in the world. Sophie took shyness to a whole new level. She couldn't function in her world.


For awhile, I just figured she'd grow out of it. I thought she would learn how to cope with it and eventually come out of her shell. But she seemed to be getting worse instead of better. My dad mentioned that he'd seen a clip on the Today Show about Selective Mutism and suggested I look into it. I'd never heard of this but after a few months decided to look it up on the internet. I was shocked to discover that Sophie fit the description EXACTLY. It's an anxiety disorder where kids are extremely verbal at home but become mute in almost all other settings due to extreme, paralyzing, anxiety. Her kindergarten teacher mentioned the same diagnosis.


After a lot of discussion and thought, we decided to have her evaluated by a child psychiatrist. He agreed with the diagnosis and recommended we start her on an anti-anxiety medication. We're also motivating her with small prizes for communicating with people. I am here to tell you that this medication has made a huge difference in our life! I was worried that Sophie might become a different person or "lose" her personality. Actually, I feel the opposite has happened. She seems like she can relax enough now to be herself. Her primary teacher called to tell me today that she's noticed a big change in her. She said she volunteered for the prayer and even befriended a visitor in the class. Her teacher had no idea we had started her on medication.


I understand that medication is not a "fix all" and I even think it tends to be over-used in our society. However, so far, it has given Sophie those little chemicals in her brain that she was missing. It has helped her relax enough to talk to a cousin she wouldn't talk to before, and even answer someone's question on the playground. I'm so glad we live in a time where science and medicine can help improve the quality of our lives.


Now wish her luck with 1st grade! This will be the true test.


10 comments:

Kristin said...

I had no idea that any of this was going on, but I'm so glad to hear that the medicine is helping. I hope that Sophie does great this year in first grade. I don't think it's too much info at all. I post very personal things on my blog all the time. I use like my journal also and you want to remember the hard times along with the great ones.

Terrie said...

I believe whole heartedly that if medication helps, use it. It has helped Joseph more than we could have imagined with his bi-polar and ADD. We are so blessed to live in a time that has these great developments in science that helps us to help our kids, or ourselves. I have seen a change in Sophie too. Like Lillie said "she'll be okay." Actually I think she will be better than okay, way to be a good mom and make the hard choice!

roccor said...

Our six year old daughter has SM as well. She has made some progress, but it has been slow. We have said that medication would be our last option because it only masks the underlying cause, but after reading your story maybe we are denying our daughter of enjoying life to the fullest. Can she really improve to a social norm without medication? Chances are no! She can improve to a certain extent, but it looks as if medication may be the best solution so our daughter can enjoy life to the fullest.

Thank you for sharing your story,

Rob
http://smsg.baseman.ca/ (SM Support group)

Crystal said...

The other Sunday, I heard some kids laughing in the hall. Like really loud having a great time with friends laugh. I looked over at the drink fountain and there was Sophie laughing with some other kids. I know you struggle with her and so when I saw that. It made me smile really big. I am happy that you have found a way to help her. I feel like you that medication is the last resort, but it is nice in a situation like Sophie's to know it helps her to function. I also suffer for anxiety and know how hard it can be. You are a awesome mom to your kids. I hope to hear many more laughs from Sophie!

Shannon said...

This isn't too much information at all. I am glad that we have the resources today that can give us hope when before there wasn't any. We have blogs where we can share our feelings and read about each others, we have the internet that gives us a world of information, we have doctors that study the mechanics of the brain, and we have pharmaceutical companies making the medications that our bodies sometime need. Sophie is lucky to have parents that care so deeply about her well being and that want the very best for her. I think she is such a great little girl with so much potential. I am sure she will do well in first grade and we are so glad she will be in Dresden's class.

Eric said...

That's fantastic. It's nice to have some knowledge about it because I know it's been something you've worried about. It is so heartbreaking to see your little ones not fitting in whatever the case may be. So glad it's helping her.

Emily N said...

I am SO happy to hear how well Sophie is doing! I love that girl so much and it looks like she is able to enjoy herself a lot more. I look forward to hearing about her awesome time in school. Thanks for sharing, you're a great role model for me.

Kristen said...

wow amy..i got chills reading this. i am so glad you made this decision. now we can all get to know the sophie that "you and rich know". i might just have to plan a play date soon so i can see it for myself. i am so excited! btw..cute pictures of your kids!!!!!

Becky said...

Wow, that made me cry a bucket-full! I'm glad that you are open about things. It just makes more people care. I am so happy for every little change for the better. Sophie is a special little girl, and I'm glad that others will get to see that.

Julie said...

I am so, so glad to hear that you have found something to help alleviate some of that anxiety for Sophie! As someone with Anxiety (obviously presented differently than Sophie's) I can empathize to some degree. What a wonderful blessing that you have found something to help her.