Tuesday, September 23, 2008

1st Grade Update


I thought I'd just update everyone on Sophie's progress in 1st grade. When I last posted about her (before school started), we'd already seen some amazing progress. I'm happy to report that she is doing fantastic in school!!!!!


At our first meeting with her teacher, in typical Selective Mutism fashion, Sophie sat close to me with her head down and her hands rubbing her eyes. She wouldn't make eye contact or even nod to her teacher. However, on the THIRD day of school, Sophie's teacher called me to tell me she had raised her hand to answer a question out loud!!!! By the second week of school, her teacher told me she was raising her hand to ask questions (takes more initiative) and was talking to and making friends.


One morning when I took her to school, I was helping Cameron for a minute. When I looked up, Sophie was racing down to the playground holding hands with two new friends. Sophie says when kids ask her why she talks this year at school, she just replies, "I'm not as shy as I used to be".


In our life, we consider this a miracle. The changes in Sophie since starting medication have been dramatic. People keep asking me what we've done to help her come out of her shell. The answer is, the right diagnosis with proper treatment. Her pediatrician recently told me that in his 23 years of practice, he's never seen a child so anxious or mute. We know it is a blessing that she has progressed so fast and can now reach her potential.

7 comments:

Terrie said...

Yay, Sophie! She is such a sweet girl I have loved seeing her progress over the past couple of months. She really is a sweet and funny girl, I'm glad everyone gets to see that now!

Kristen said...

amy you and rich must be so happy! i am so anxious to be around her so i can see her cute personality. aren't you grateful for medication? When used properly they can be life-changing.

sometimes i wish my kids would have selective mutism as connor runs into kindergarten every day shouting things like...rrrrrrrhhh!!! and any other obnoxious noise he can make to announce that HE HAS ARRIVED!!!

Emily N said...

This is so inspirational. I can't wait to see her in action, though it will be a while. What a sweet girl. I'm SO glad she is progressing so awesomely!

Shannon said...

Way to go, Sophie! I'm so glad that she has progressed so well and so quickly. We just love Sophie and are so glad that Dresden and Sophie are friends.

Crystal said...

congrats on th awesome progress.

Kristin said...

I'm so glad to hear that she is making progress. Cierra tells me all the time that Sophie talks at school this year. Way to go Sophie!

Julie said...

That is so wonderful. What a blessing that you have found a way to help her!