Sunday, September 14, 2008

Head Games

Are you like me and find yourself constantly comparing yourself to others? For awhile I was feeling pretty content with my life, situation, and even myself. Lately however, I just find myself thinking, "I wish I could be more artistic like her", or "I wish I was more motivated like her" or "I wish my stomach was flatter like hers", or "I wish my house was beautifully decorated like hers". Why do I constantly beat myself up? Do you experience these same self-defeating thoughts?

One part of me knows that I was created to be who I am. I know I have my own strengths and abilities. Another part of me longs to be something different, something more. I think part of this is human nature. I think it is natural to notice the best in others while only noticing the worst in ourselves. But, as we've been taught, the natural man (or woman) is an enemy to God. While it may be natural to compare ourselves, nothing good comes of it! It is not how God wants us to view ourselves. And it is dangerous. We never know what trials or weaknesses that other "perfect" person has.

There is a fine line between admiring someone for their strengths and putting yourself down for not having that strength. I am committing to STOP comparing myself to others and just focus on improving my weaknesses and being grateful for the strengths that I have. One quote I heard as a youth that has always stuck with me is (Heavenly Father speaking): "The greatest gift I could give you is to see yourself the way I do". Heavenly Father sees me as an imperfect person that is just trying to do better. And that is OKAY. He doesn't want me to be just like everyone else. And he doesn't fault me for not having all the talents I think I'd like to have.

I know you may have this all figured out, but I have to remind myself sometimes that I may not be the best at everything, but as long as I'm striving to improve, that's what matters. Any suggestions/thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

9 comments:

Kristen said...

I really like this post! I would venture to say that the majority of women feel this way. Especially LDS women because for some reason we misinterpret the gospel in this area and think we have to be "perfect" in every way. (or sometimes want others to think we are.) Read the visiting teaching message for this month if you haven't already. I think it is very applicable. There is a quote in there that really impressed me. It says something about having our "natures changed through faith in Jesus Christ". It helped me to realize that none of our "natures" are perfect or even close to it. That is our whole purpose for being here. We will never progress if we get caught in this trap of comparison because discouragement always hinders our progression. Now if I could practice what I am preaching I would be a lot further ahead in my own progress. I TOTALLY struggle with this same thing. One person's strength is someone else's weakness and we're here to help each other, right? I think you are amazing! I know you weren't fishing for compliments.

p.s. sorry for the novel!!!

Crystal said...

I do the same thing. I know I always seem to compare my worst to everyone's best. It is a hard thing to not compare. When you have it all figured out you can teach me. We are put here on the earth to better our selves, but to not feel defeated. I am not sure I have any answers to help. I think you are awesome too.

Julie said...

Always a great reminder. I struggle with this too- so thanks for the post!

Terrie said...

That is a tough one. I think most of us struggle with this. As hard as it is, try to focus on your own strengths. Trust me you have a lot, because you are someone I compare my self to and wonder why I am not more like you. I am sure I am not the only one. And if all else fails just remember you are an awesome party host!

Zaugg family said...

One of my most comforting thoughts is that there is a time and season for everything in this life. There is a time for a flat stomach (I really hope that time will come again), a time for developing talents, a time for raising children, a time for home decorating. I know that I cannot be all that I want to be right now, but I focus on what this time in my life is for, and hope that I can continue and progress through the other times that come.

Miss Rachel said...

I wish I posted more meaningful blog messages like you.....oh oops.

Emily N said...

Amy, I loved reading this. It even brought a tear to my eye. (surprise) It is SO hard for me to not compare. Everything. As, I think it is for everyone. I commend you on your resolution. You'll have to share some tips on how you do it. I love you.

Becky said...

Yep, we all do it. (but how can you wish for a flatter stomach...it isn't possible!)
As a totally unpredjudiced person, I think you are fantastic, you certainly don't need to feel like you need to be more like someone else. I'm so proud of all you do!

Eric said...

I feel this way too and when I do I try to look at the bigger picture. I sometimes get caught up in wanting a really beautiful home and wanting to decorate it just the way I'd like. Then I start to think "it really doesn't matter, what if it was all taken away from me in a second". I feel like I'm being worldly and I hate when I feel like that. But I also think that Heaven was so beautiful that I want my home to reflect the way I once lived. I know that comparing ourselves to other might be the same. That in Heaven we had so many talents and could do so many things. And even though we were given certain traits and talents on this earth we desire others. I don't know just some random thoughts. You really shouldn't worry so much because I'm sure people look at you and wish for things you have. You and your family are gorgeous. You have the flattest tummy. Your a great mother. And you have a darling home. Really I could go on and on...