Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Cheerleader




Sometimes life is kind of a bummer. Sometimes we get bogged down with climbing the corporate ladder, sick kids, never ending snow storms, whining, mountains of laundry, teething, and CPA exams that are nearly impossible to pass. I am a cheery person by nature, therefore it has fallen on me to be our family cheerleader. I'm usually happy to do the job. In fact, I feel like it's one of my talents. But what's a mom to do when she doesn't feel like cheering?


A few weeks ago I'd had it. I was just plain tired of it all. So guess what I did? I looked at the big picture (and ate a half a bag of chocolate chips). This might seem obvious to most, but performing this simple task made everything look a little more rosy. If I ask myself three simple questions, I always end up feeling better. They are, how will this (decision, event, time in my life) affect me in 10 minutes, 10 days, and 10 years?


Okay. Most things don't change in 10 minutes, but some do. Whining can come and go in a matter of seconds! In 10 days, the kids probably won't be sick anymore and there may even be sunshine outside. In 10 years, I will be so glad that we endured long hours of studying until Rich had his CPA license. I'm sure we will look back at this time and say, "it was so fun and so worth it"! Look how much character building we accomplished!


Anyway, I realize that I am so blessed. I'm feeling much better now and can resume my job as the family cheerleader.

4 comments:

Emily N said...

That is fantastic advice. It might be the hormones raging in me, but I got all teary eyed reading that. I'll definitely try that technique. Thank you.

Terrie said...

Truer words never were spoken! I am so glad to know that I am not the only one that feels that way sometimes. I love the advice. And I agree counting your blessings every once in awhile makes everything seems much better.

Kristen said...

you are very good at looking at the bright side of things. i am not so good at that. i like the 10 min, etc question. i am going to have to try that. by the way..we had fun the other night. i was kind of in a poopy mood at first but quickly snapped out of it after the first bite of butter chicken. yum yum!

Becky said...

Wow, what wisdom from my little girl! I totally agree, sometimes you have to look at the big picture. Good advice!